Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cooked beyond well done

Very tough gravel grinder today. Paul and I headed south from Apple Valley down to Sogn Valley. 20+ mph headwind and rain for the first two hours made it slow going but with Almanzo two weeks away, we forged ahead. Finally crossed the Cannon river into Sogn Valley GG territory, rain stopped but the wind seemed to pick up a bit. We worked our way over to Sogn Valley Trail and climbed that long, awesome gravel hill. Started making our way back with a nice tailwind that seemed to last about 5 miles. How did the wind shift from the SE to the WSW so quickly? The ride back was going to be hard. The rain had soaked the gravel roads, and there were some that were pretty much sand. Riding these stretches was a battle where just keeping the bike moving forward. There were moments when the pedals barely moved, the wind forced you sideways, the rain didn't let up, and the mind eventually wandered toward the deep void. Reaching some faster gravel roads improved spirits but the last 15 miles felt like a death march. Paul's coca-cola he had purchased in Dennison was kicking in and he was chatty! I noticed the pace pick up and Paul seemed to be pedaling with ease. I may need to pack a coke for Almanzo. Rolling back to Paul's pad, the body was not happy. Paul's garage was our base camp and I had to laugh at how long it took to get my wool socks on. Pull halfway up the foot, take a break, continue on. Paul graciously pulled out some Surly Furious and I was in such a stupor that I couldn't even finish it. Wow, that has to be a first.

Total 85 miles on the SS. Nice route Paul!

Here's the route.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/32936454/





2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that was epic all right! No way I would have rode in this conditions without the KING of CX. Heck, wasn't your can of Surly marked, "KING" on the side? I really don't remember much about this ride. I remember vague discussions about Euro CX and how they just use a farm field, "hey like that one over there!" I also, remember some comment about a turn, e.g. "We suppose to turn there?" That was in reference to a road that when about .25 miles into a plowed field and ended. I think the street sign for that one had there been one would have said, "Butcher Lane" BTW, this post has taken me 25 minutes to type as my hands are still in curved position for the ride. Ride stats from my new wireless sigma that actually worked: 85.12 miles, 5 hrs 44 min ride time. 15 MPH ave. Fastest speed 31.42, that must have been when I had to close the gap when the KING attacked on the downhill!!!!! Yeah, wow, I have not ever done anything like that on a bike before. All I know, is yeah, COKE CLASSIC is the preferred drink of choice for Almanzo nicely watered down and flat!!!. I checked underground weather historical stats for the day for Randolph, MN. The win was pretty much a constant 20, with some guts almost up to 30. Game on!!!! VD is getting the royal treatment, chain is soaking in simple green, WI freehub is off and will get some Phil Wood Oil in the Pawls and Headset overhauled. Ready for Almanzo, I think?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memory is starting to come back a little now. Boyd (avoid) ave. for next GG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete